Capital of Oklahoma
|| The history of our city
began in 1891, and on May 19, 2004, our city was 102 years old.
Many changes have been made but the atmosphere of a pleasant
community still remains. In 1891 four Indian Reservations were
opened to settlement. A group of Czech people were among the
pioneers who made the Land Run of the Sac and Fox Reservation
land. There are still descendants of these families living in
Prague: Barta, Eret, Vlasak, Bonty, Simek and many others. Our
city is located on the southeast corner of Lincoln County.
The land on which it is built originally belonged to Frank
Barta and Anton Simek. In 1902 the Townsite Company bought this
land. Neighborhood centers were soon established where the
staple groceries could be purchased. Crude methods of
transportation without roads made it necessary for a railroad
The Fort Smith & Western was looking for a place
to put a coal
chute. Their first choice was 2 miles East of Prague, but Mr.
Lee Watts placed a much higher price on the land that the railroad
was willing to pay. Needless to say, it was welcomed by the
settlers in the Czech community. The Townsite Company gave the
right of way to land on which the coal chute could be built.
The remaining land was the widely advertised. The lots for business
sold from $200 to $600 per lot. Resident lots sold for much
The town was on its way and Mrs. Eva Barta was given the
honor of naming it. She immediately called it Praha, in remembrance
of her home in the Old Country. Later Squire Vlaska changed
the name to Prague. Prague can boast of having one of the cleanest
and neatest cities in our part of the state. The population
is approximately 2,500 with a trade area of 3, 200.
Fire Department is a volunteer group. There are two city trucks,
four rural trucks, a tanker, a Rescue Boat, and the emergency
rescue unit that transports the Jaws of Life. The Ambulance
Service is also city operated. It is equipped with life saving
equipment and staffed by employees trained to give emergency
care. A few years ago, Prague was faced with the possibility
of losing its hospital. Realizing the importance of this facility,
the people voted to buy the hospital. Since that time, many
improvements have been made to modernize the hospital. There
is now a new operating suite, new x-ray equipment, offices for
three doctors and one dentist. Beautiful new rooms have been
added upstairs to accommodate more patients.
Prague has two
banks both occupying new buildings. People from surrounding
towns use the Prague banking facilities. The banks are equipped
with the newest computer systems to give more efficient
Worship service is an important phase in the lives of the people
of Prague. There are sixteen churches in town, all showing
improvement in size and appearance. People like this atmosphere
and are constantly moving here from the cities to enjoy a more
peaceful place in which to raise their families.
| The Haynie Public Library
opened in late 2006 and is across the street for the School.
The school has approximately 1000 students this year. Many
honors have been added to the school by the efficient work of
its pupils. Construction was completd in 1998 on the new auditorium at the Middle School
complex. The town feels the young people to be its greatest
Farming still ranks high as a major industry. Many beautiful
farms and ranches can be seen while driving through the country.
Peanuts are a major crop along with alfalfa, wheat and pecans.
Registered swine and cattle are also in abundance. many breeders
in this area have won many trophies with their stock. This helps
and encourages the FFA towards greater goals.
To sum up our
town is rather hard to do. We have many things to offer and
are proud of them. Visitors are always welcome in our city.
They will find Prague centrally located from Oklahoma's largest
cities. We are 50 miles east from Oklahoma City and approximately
65 miles southwest from Tulsa. We are 7 miles north of I-40
and 18 miles south of Turner Turnpike. Highways 62 and I-377
run through Prague.